As a steamfitters and pipefitters you lay out, assemble, fabricate, maintain, troubleshoot and repair piping systems carrying water, steam, chemicals and fuel in heating, cooling, lubricating and other process piping and fire suppression systems.
Your work also includes specialty piping systems that are composed of stainless steel, chrome-moly, nickel, monel and inconel that require special joining techniques. As a steamfitters and pipefitters you work on the highest pressure and temperature systems out of all of the trades and they require a sound knowledge of scientific and technical principles to complete your work safely and effectively.
• Read blueprints, drawings and specifications to determine the layout of plumbing system, water supply networks, and wastewater drainage systems.
• Locate, mark and cut positions and pathways for pipe connections, passage holes and fixtures in walls and floors.
• Measure, cut, bend and thread pipes using hand and power tools or machines.
• Weld, braze, cement, solder and thread joints to join pipes and fabricate sections of a piping system.
• Test pipes for leaks and troubleshoot potential problems using testing equipment.
• Sprinkler system installers also perform some or all of the following duties:
• Install clamps, brackets and hangers to support piping systems and sprinkler & fire protection equipment using hand and power tools.
• Install sprinkler heads and mount prepared pipe in supports.
• Install valves, alarms and other sprinkler system or fire suppression equipment.
THIS JOB IS FOR YOU IF…
• You like working with closed, pressurized systems and fire suppression technologies.
• You are well versed on building codes and regulations and you have a keen interest in staying up to date.
• You enjoy physically active work.
• You are mechanically inclined and like working with different metals and their properties.
• You have a VCA safety certificate to work in The Netherlands, Belgium ore Germany.